“Hi, I'm Bert Ortiz, Entrepreneuer, big fan of most things outdoors, and Founder of Tico's Coffee Roasting Co.”
“I've never purchased coffee from a person who pours his heart and soul into his coffee business like Bert does.”
- Steve Mucha, Word of Mouth Bistro -
“I’ve been very fortunate that in the 8 years I’ve been doing coffee, I've come across a few people that really, truly care and Bert’s one of those people.”
- Tristina F., Coffee House Café -
“Business ownership is full of challenges. You don’t need a supplier that gives you more headaches. Tico’s Coffee is a dream to work with and you will worry about one less thing.”
- Natalie F., Flight Deck Restaurant -
We started Tico’s Coffee back in 2003, after selling a wholesale food distribution business we owned and operated for 9 years.
The food distribution business was making money, the problem was product supply. We’d order 100 of something and get 50.
Or get 100 of something that was not as fresh as it should have been or worse yet, close to an expiration date.
Our main supplier very unreliable. Just when you though they “got it together”, they’d drop the ball again.
We were making money but missing out on a lot more sales opportunities and not having much fun at it.
I started dreaming up Tico’s Coffee for several reasons:
- I love having a cup of great coffee
- There was an abundant supply of coffee, and once I figured “it” out, I could establish a reliable supply.
- I grew up in Costa Rica and had a bunch of friends and family I lost touch with. I could connect with them again.
So, we purchased a used coffee roasting machine, bought some green coffee, and learned how to roast.
That was the birth of Tico’s Coffee Roasting Co., right there in one half of our 1 car garage.
Since then the business has continued to evolve:
- We leased and renovated a barn where we operated for 10 years
- We’ve upgraded and increased our production capacity several times. We continue to work on the “weakest (slowest) link”, make improvements, then work on the new “weakest (slowest) link”.
- We purchased and moved into our current facility in August of 2016.
- Along the way, we’ve met and supplied coffee to some pretty wonderful people and got more involved with the communities where we work and play.
This is truly an adventure! It’s been challenging and hectic at times, but I like coming to work every day to make things happen and help others along the way.
A Few Things About Me
In case you wanted to know...
If I haven't chased you off...
To purchase Tico's coffee for home
For larger quantities for your business